22 June 2008

Placitas

Saturday mornings are not the same as when I was a child. I would rush to the television set and watch cartoons: Roadrunner, Bugs Bunny, The Jetsons. Other than flying cars, we live in the age of the Jetsons. 2001 A Space Odyssey was originally science fiction. I view technology as the invention of the external brain. The more we live outside ourselves, the less we are connected to our origin, the earth. It is bad for big business when we honor our Mother. I am always amused when people marvel at the instincts of animals such as a deer. The deer will leap before the twig snap. It isn't a miracle, it is simply the way. The way?

The way is the natural order of things. Let's say one hundred birds are gathered together in a small area on the ground. A gun discharges. One hundred birds will flee into the air in unison without incident. Now let's say there are one hundred humans in the same perimeter and a gun discharges. Humans will be crashing into each other, knocking each other down, stepping over and on one another. Humans have lost their way. We humans collectively agreed to the hypnotism of electronics and in doing so denied our Mother.

Saturday morning my brother and I took a short hike into the mountains of Placitas. Up there you don't get GPS, or bars on your phone. Instead we heard twigs snap, water falling and birds calling down. We also saw signs posted, warning of a large bear population in the area. I assured my brother if we came upon a bear he would not have to outrun him. I simply informed him he would just have to outrun me.

No comments: