26 February 2007

I AM

A creative genius is the best way to illustrate the man Doug Aarne. I was blessed to play a small role in his first film, I AM. Doug recently informed me the film was On The Lot. I didn't know what On The Lot was. He sent me a link. On The Lot: I AM This little 13 minute film is a jewel. Treat yourself to a mental and emotional vacation and see for yourself. If you feel inspired, leave a comment supporting Doug.

Added 28 February 2007: Doug here is the poem you requested. This was part of a talk I gave at The Longyear Museum of Anthropology in association with my exhibition, Culture in Decay.

Art is not a mirror
Art is a hatchet
I am an artist
therefore
I am a savage
My color is the distillation of pure emotion
None burns more brightly than the fiery glow of the embers in my heart
Screaming hues of art, artifact and artifice
I am Big Chief
I am Tonto
I am the drunk on the bench
I am the Shaman
Choking on Indian head nickels,
I mutter the Ghost Dance under my breath
I scream my dreams in Technicolor
I am an artist
therefore
I am a savage

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am Truly Honored by your blog. Words cannot explain the emotions that I am feeling at this moment.

Rhett, you, Mr. Coppola, Ric, Nathan and the rest of I Am's cast, are the creative geniuses. I have a few more hurdles to go, so I hope to return with that newspaper. You're the Freedom Eagle of I Am. We also have Professor Gleason rising from his bus seat. He rose to the occasion, making "I Dare You To Dream." Nathan Simmons has been working tirelessly on the editing.

Mr. Coppola is extremely proud of us. I am forever humbled.

Anonymous said...

Like you said before, "this is just the beginning"... Blessings to you brother.

Anonymous said...

Brother Rhett, you have a good memory. Yes, I did say that. I was wondering if you could post your, "I Am poem" above your awesome picture. I had no idea that you had written this beautiful poem. I am left in wonderment whenever I think about how our words came to be.

It's awesome how your arm extends into I AM. You're the Freedom Eagle. Please refresh my memory about your gesture. This really goes deep.

Many blessings,

Bro Doug

Anonymous said...

Dear Rhett,
Doug is as you have said a creative genius! I AM is Beautiful story! He has been a blessing to me! Now I have found another gem...you are such an artist. I am thankful to Doug that he brought me here to read your words and to be enlightened by your spirit.
Thank you! I wish you all of the best in everything you do!!
Kindly & Respectfully,
Caroline Moore

Anonymous said...

Dear Rhett and Caroline, I am not worthy of such great praise, but I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. And thank you both for showing me that a heart and a kind word is far better than a cold heart and harsh word. Some people did not get the message and many layers in I Am Film, but for those who did - they will discover those--Sunset beach--gems amongst the layers of sand, as their brilliant colors become enhanced by the fading rays of the sun, making each gem glisten and reflect God's unique creations. Bless you my friends. Thanks for glistening. I Am forever humbled (IAM8:40)

Anonymous said...

Caroline ~ Thank you for your generous words! It seems you have the heart of a creator as well. It is a pleasure to meet you! I look forward to hearing from you again.

Doug ~ You are a teacher in the art of giving and graciousness. Every time I think of you and your family I feel blessed. Shine on My Brotther

Anonymous said...

Rhett & Caroline, I am honored and touched and humbled by the faith you both have in me--as a human being--and to speak quite frankly every day that rise, I give thanks for my many blessings; you're both apart of my blessings. For this reason we all shine like Cape May Diamonds. May we continue to shine on together.

Rhett, I believe you have come to learn about this sacred gems, please permit me to post an article about the stones history, especially becuase I referred to them in my posts.

http://www.ccwomannews.com/capemaydiamonds.html